• To serve Poland – to build Europe – to understand the world

  • Work on the territory of the Republic of Poland



    • your future employer moves for a work permit, you cannot apply for a work permit in Poland on your own,
    • a work permit should be sent to you by your employer so that you can apply for a visa giving you the right to work.

    Documents required to enter the territory of Poland:


    1. a valid travel document,


    2. a valid visa (if you want to work legally, you must obtain a visa giving you the right to work),


    3. a document which confirms that you have health insurance,


    4. money or a certificate confirming that you have it (e.g. a current certificate from a bank). If you cross the border based on a visa with the right to work, you do not have to present documents reflecting your financial situation.


    At all times keep documents on you certifying your identity, legal stay and work (a copy of a work permit), in case you are controlled by the Police or the Border Guard.


    If you do not have any of them or if they are invalid, you may even be expelled from Poland.




    • you cannot start work before the date shown in the permit,
    • a work permit is given with regard to one employer, to the particular position and to the period shown in the permit, under the conditions defined in the permit,
    • your employer must move for an extension of a work permit not later than 30 days before the end of the period for which the permit has been given,
    • if you want to change your employer or take up a different kind of job, your new employer must move for a new permit to an appropriate Voivode (regional/voivodship office),
    • if you did not sign a contract before starting work, demand the contract not later than on the day of commencing work,
    • a contract must be in accordance with a work permit,

    The obligation of an employer:


    • conclude contracts with you (including an employment contract) in a language which you understand,
    • conduct trainings (including an occupational health and safety training) in a language which you understand,
    • provide you with a copy of an extension of a work permit or of a new permit,
    • pay for you, on a regular basis, contributions and taxes required by the law.

    The obligations of an employee (within the employment relationship):


    • regular remuneration paid within the agreed period (not lower than that shown in a work
    • permit and concluded contract),
    • protection against discrimination and exploitation,
    • rest after work, holidays and a leave,
    • work in safe and hygienic conditions,
    • choose a place of residence,
    • a certificate from your employer after leaving work.

    Working in Poland with no permit:


    • ILLEGAL WORK IS SUBJECT TO PENALTY! It may also result in an expulsion from Poland,
    • if you work without a contract, the law does not provide you with protection and your employer may use it - may not pay you out your money, may demand that you work more/longer and perform a different work than it has been agreed. If you work illegally, you have worse access to employee rights which you are entitled to, including the right to free medical care.

    Providing sexual services in Poland:


    • in Poland prostitution is not prohibited, but provision of sexual services is not a legal profession,
    • provision of sexual services is not a legally recognized profession in Poland.

    If someone forces you to prostitution, induces you to provide sexual services, facilitates you to provide services as a prostitute or if derives benefits from the fact that you are a prostitute - remember that their actions are against the law and are subject to penalty.


    If you are a prostitute, the aim of your stay is contrary to your declaration. This leads to a visa annulment or revocation and an expulsion from Poland as well as a ban on entering the territory of the Republic of Poland and other Schengen States:


    The Falling a victim to:


    • a crime such as human trafficking, if you have been cheated, forced to prostitution or slave labour; if your employer has not paid out money due to you, has threatened or blackmailed you, has taken your passport or another identity document, contact the National Consulting and Intervention Center for the Victims of Trafficking [KCIK] in Warsaw run by a non-governmental organization, phone no.: 0 22 628 01 20where you will receive support and help which you need (
    • another crime (e.g. robbery, rape, battery) - contact the Police, phone no.: 997 (on the territory of the whole country) or dial the emergency no. 112 (free telephone line).

    Whether your stay is legal or not, you have the right to safety, protection and legal help. You can turn to law enforcement bodies, a non-governmental organization and also to your Consul.



    ul. Lentza 11, 00-956 Warsaw, Poland
    Telephone: (+48) 22- 490-2025
    Fax: (+48) 602-541-012
    Office hours: 9.00-17.00
    ul. Gruzińska 3, 03-902 Warsaw, Poland
    Telephone: (+48) 22 617 31 44, 617 44 13
    Fax: (+48) 22 617 62 56, 616 05 90
    Office hours: Monday-Friday 08.30-13.00 and 14.00-16.30

    Kronenstrasse 55-58, D-10117 Berlin
    tel. + 49 30 20 60 76-0, 26 60 76 18
    fax + 49 30 20 60 76 66

    The programme is financed from the budget of the Minister of Interior and Administration of the Republic of Poland.

    Print Print Share: